The “Gooft Exploit” was found only a few days ago which allowed the “Hello World” program to run on PSPs using any firmware between 2.00 to 3.03 using GTA: Liberty City Stories. Now, we have a downgrader and a Homebrew Enabler (HEN). The Homebrew Enabler allows a 3.03 PSP to run homebrew as if it were using Firmware 1.5, and since it does not flash any files, it is somewhat safe to run homebrew (although it depends on what appliations you run). As for the downgrader, it has been tested and is deemed safe, but as always there is always a change of bricking if the instructions are not followed. See below for all the details.
Before going throught the downgrading instructions, there are a few thing you need to know. The downgrading process will only work once and requires you to be running Firmware 3.03. Downgrading, then updating back to 3.03 and downgrading again will brick your PSP, so only downgrade once. Also, XTREME PSP and the Noobz Team are not responsible for any damage that may occur as a result of using the downgrader.
- 3.03 Downgrader
- 3.03 HEN (Homebrew Enabler)
- Firmware 1.5 EBOOT
Downgrading Firmware 3.03 to 1.50
- Update to Firmware 3.03. If you already have Firmware 3.03, then proceed to step 2.
- Open the 3.03 downgrade file and copy the contents of the folder MS_ROOT to the root of your memory stick.
- Rename the Firmware 1.5 EBOOT to UPDATE.PBP and copy it to /PSP/GAME/UPDATE/
Make sure your not to overwrite the existing PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP.
- Load Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (unpatched version required).
- On the game loading screen , then screen should clear and fill with a light blue color and then reset the PSP.
- Check that HEN is running by going to Settings > System Settings > System Information. The System Version should read 3.03 HEN.
- If it is showing up as 3.03 HEN then go to the Game > Memory Stick and run the x.yz update.
- Before the downgrader does anything to your PSP , an agree will be desplayed. In order to contine you must accept the agreement. You can cancel by pressing the R-TRIGGER button.
- Once the downgrading process begins, do not turn off the PSP or remove the battery.
- Once finished the PSP will ask you to press X to restart the PSP.
- Upon reboot, if a mesage appears redarding corrupted settings, press X to continue and repair the settings.
- Enjoy your new Firmware 1.5 PSP.